Halloween Special: Candy Corn Strawberries
Prep Time: 1-2 Hours
Materials: 12 strawberries, 1 bag of white chocolate, yellow and orange food coloring, toothpicks, piece of styrofoam, shortening (optional)
- Start by washing your strawberries. Then, dry them off by lightly patting the strawberries with a paper towel.
- Skewer the strawberries with the toothpicks by slowly twisting the toothpicks through the stem. Make sure that the toothpick doesn’t pierce the other side of the strawberry.
- Stab the toothpicks into the styrofoam and set the strawberries aside.
- Use a double boiler to melt the white chocolate chips. Fill the bottom pan with water and set the stove on high to bring the water to a boil. Alternatively, you could use a pan and a bowl that fits on top of the pan in place of the double boiler.
- Once the water is boiling, turn the heat down to low and place on top of the double boiler filled with the white chocolate chips, on top of the bottom pan.
- Stir the chocolate chips until they have melted into a liquid of medium thickness. If the chocolate seems too thick, add 1 teaspoon of shortening at a time until the mixture reaches the right thickness.
- Immediately remove the chips off the stove and separate into 3 small bowls.
- Add orange food coloring to one bowl and yellow to another. Leave the last bowl of chocolate alone. TIP:Work quickly with the melted chocolate. If the chocolate becomes too thick, put it back over the double boiler along with some shortening and reheat over the hot water.
- Holding back the leaves of the strawberries, dip each into the white chocolate making sure to tap off the excess chocolate on the sides of the bowl before placing back onto the styrofoam lid.
- Once the chocolate has set, or turned from a shiny to matte finish, dip 2/3 of each strawberry into the yellow chocolate, leaving 1/3 of the strawberry white.
- Wait for the yellow chocolate to set again and dip 1/3 of each strawberry into the orange chocolate. 12. Place the strawberries into the freezer for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Enjoy the goodness of your hard work!